Valley Park Board of Education
The Valley Park School District will accept declarations of candidacy from any person interested in running for a position on the school board in the April 6 , 202 1 election.
Persons may file at the Superintendent’s Office located at 1 Main Street, Valley Park, MO 63088. All candidates must wear a mask while on campus.
Filing begin s December 15 , 2020 at 8:00 a.m. and continues during the District’s regular business hours of 8:00 a.m. 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. With the exception of the first and last day of filing, filing will not occur on legal or school holidays, on days the school district ’s central office is closed due to inclement weather, or in the event of closure due to the COVID-19 global pandemic. No filings will occur on December 16, 2020, December 21, 2020, and December 23, 2020 through January 3, 2021 (closed for winter break). Candidates should call (636) 923-3695 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire if the offices are open.
Filing ends January 19, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. There are two (2) director positions available with three year terms. Candidates must be citizens of the United States and resident taxpayers of the
district with no taxes in arrears pursuant to RSM o.115.306, must have resided in Missouri for one year preceding the election, and must be at least twenty four years of age by the day of election. The names of qualified candidates shall be placed on the ballot in order of filing.
Board of Education Belief Statement
The Board of Education believes that the schools exist for the benefit of all students and that the schools belong to the people.
Roles and Qualifications
- The Board of Education is the corporate policy-making body of the District.
- The Board serves within the framework provided the law and the will of the local citizenry.
- The Board is governed by the Missouri General Assembly through the State Board of Education.
- The Board of Education is composed of seven members each of whom serves a three-year term without pay. Terms are staggered so voters elect either two or three positions each year.
- The Board election is held on a municipal Election Day, the first Tuesday in April. Board members are elected at-large. This means they do not serve a particular geographical area, but rather the entire population of residents.
- Members of the Board shall be citizens of the United States and resident taxpayers of the District. Members shall be at least 24 years of age.