In the summer and fall of 2016, the Board of Education reviewed the next phase of our long-range facilities plan. After hearing needs from staff and considering results from our community survey, the Board voted to place a no-tax-rate-increase bond issue on the April 4, 2017 ballot. Proposition R was designed to implement the next phase of safety & security updates, repair aging facilities, and replace building systems at the end of their life cycle.On April 4, with nearly 75% of the vote, Prop R passed. Implementation began the summer of 2017 and will continue over a 3-year period.What will Prop R cost residents?Proposition R does NOT result in an increase to our current tax rate.
Completed items under Prop R:
- Roofing - This major project replacing approximately 70,000 square feet of roofing on the elementary, middle and high school buildings is now complete. Stone restoration, brickwork, roof drain replacements and other repairs to accommodate the new roofing construction were also completed. The remaining sheet-metal work will be completed shortly. The solar panels removed for the roofing work will be re-installed later this year.
- 132 aging computers replaced and 336 additional computer placed across the district
- Aging projectors replaced with wireless projectors districtwide
- Phone server upgraded
- Security camera server upgraded
- Replaced whiteboards in middle and high schools
- Additional printers added throughout the district
- New firewall and content filter added to increase safety and security
- Additional wireless access points added for connectivity in the high school
- Digital signage in elementary café, lobby and middle school lobby
- Released new district app streamlined with the mass communication and website platforms
- Message boards at Vance Road & 141 and at Vance Road & Main Street
- Two new Bluebird buses were purchased to replace aging school buses
- New scoreboards were installed in the Field House gymnasium, and the basketball backboards were repaired.
- The serving line and kitchen in the elementary school cafeteria were renovated over the summer and have been in operation since the start of school. The renovation included new dishwashing equipment, two new combi-ovens, new refrigeration and new finishes.
- Elementary sound system installed.
- Solar panels have been reinstalled on the new roof and are operating.
- Fencing Replacement completed.
- Elementary & ECC Playground replaced/redesigned. New equipment layout and design, new surfacing, shade and drinking fountain provisions were completed.
- HVAC replaced in both the High School and Elementary School buildings.
- Updated and replaced major components of the intercom and fire alarm system, campus-wide.
- High School Commons completed. A student-focused space, smaller gathering spaces, and technology was incorporated.
- High School office relocated.
- Central Office relocated.
- The property and service station at Plainview and Valley School Drive was acquired and demolished as scheduled. Utilities were removed in summer 2018. Master planning studies are underway to determine the best use of the property.
Safety & Security
- Access control added to six doors
- Additional security cameras installed
- Parking Lot Paving - Ongoing
- Middle/High School Kitchen - The Middle School/High School kitchen area and serving lines will be receiving some major renovations this summer. The plans are being developed at this time with the assistance of the food service consultant.
- Campus Master Planning - Long range master planning is ongoing as we study ways to best use the campus property and improve vehicular access and parking.