6th GRADE MATH with Mrs. Merz
My email firstname.lastname@example.org is the best way to contact me. I will try to respond within 24 hours.
Plan time: 7:50 -8:40 MWF, 7:50-8:35 TR
Welcome to 6th grade! I am excited to be a part of the 6th grade team here at Valley Park Middle School and to be your child’s teacher this year. I am here to help! I will try to respond to any emails or phone calls within 24 hours. The best way to reach me is through email, but I will provide communication through phone calls or texts.
This is my first year here at Valley Park Middle school, but my 7th year of teaching. I am a Valley Park graduate and I am beyond excited to be back! I have previously taught 8th grade in the Meramec Valley School District. I am excited to work with 6th grade this year!
Since graduating from Valley Park, I have earned both a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree from Lindenwood University. I am married with two sons. My husband is also a teacher, teaching business in the Rockwood School District. My sons are Lucas and Ethan. Lucas is 4 years old and is starting his 2nd year of Preschool this year. He loves school and has said frequently this summer that “summer is too long.” Ethan is 2 years old and loves his brother. They are two little peas in a pod. We also have a dog, Millie, who is the nicest dog in the entire world. She rarely sees a person she does not like.
In math class, it is going to be important to practice, practice, practice! Even Superheroes have to do their homework 😊. Please encourage your child to work on their math homework, we will have frequent assignments. The following information will cover what is to be expected this year in math class!
- Participation! Students need to be active learners.
- Try your best! If you try, then you will be successful.
- Listen! When someone is speaking all energy is channeled into learning and using self-control.
- Respect! Respect yourself, your classmates, your teacher and anyone else in the room.
- Be prepared! Be responsible, bring materials to class.
- Ask for help! We are here to help you.
- Every day you will need a pencil, math notebook and folder and your textbook unless otherwise stated by Mrs. Merz.
Standards (What we will learn this year):
- Understand and use ratios to solve problems.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions.
- Compute with non-negative multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
- Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
- Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
- Solve problems involving area, surface area and volume.
- Develop understanding of statistical variability.
- Summarize and describe distributions.
Standards Based Grading
1= Below Basic
Assignments will consist of:
· Tests after each unit
· Quizzes given during each unit
· Frequent homework quizzes